I have been making scones forever. They are one of those things that if needed, I could make with my eyes closed. Well maybe not quite, but you get what I mean. So today I will be sharing with you a favorite recipe of mine for scones!
You will find these to be more like a traditional scone. They are only slightly sweet, and a little on the dry side. PERFECT for dipping in your morning coffee. Personally my favorite thing to do with scones. 🙂
This recipe can be changed up a number of ways. I make them with dried cranberries, orange zest, orange zest and dried cranberries, currants, raisins, lemon zest, dried blueberries, lemon zest and dried blueberries, and plain. I think plain are the best for dipping in coffee. 🙂 They just soak up the coffee so perfectly.
I hope you will enjoy these as much as I do!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup heavy cream
- zest of two lemons
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or fork till mixture is crumbly, resembling sand.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until incorporated well.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and need until well formed, but not too elastic.
- Form dough into ball and roll out flat to about 1 inch thick.
- Cut into wedges.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 min.
- Remove from oven. Let cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar to garnish (optional).
- Makes 8 scones.
There you have it, Lemon Cream Scones. Give them a try and let me know what you think!