Do you ever run ahead of God? Like a child walking with their parent who all of a sudden thinks he knows the way and breaks free from their guiding hand and sprints ahead. Only to find as he gets down the road that he really doesn’t know the way after all. Who instead now finds himself lost, not being able to find his way.
I often find myself running ahead. Sadly, I don’t think to look back until I find things are not going the way that I expected. Most of the time I find that the Lord is still standing back there at the place where I left Him. At the place where I decided I knew the way.
Friend, I don’t want this for us. I want us to be walking with Him. To be receiving all that He has for us. To not be wasting precious time running ahead and getting lost.
I can’t tell you the number of times I have been in this situation in my life. I seem to always be running ahead. Running ahead because I get impatient with His timing. Running ahead because I am lacking satisfaction with the course the road is taking. So I run ahead, off course, and end up lost without Him.
So how do we live reliant upon Him, patient with His timing, and satisfied with His path? How do we keep from running ahead and getting lost?
Let’s look at five things that can help us stay on course:
- Prayer– Spending time specifically praying about it. Asking for wisdom and direction. Asking for His heart on matters and to see His vision.
- Reading the Word– By reading what God has to say. What does the Bible say about your situation? What are the stories of old? How did the men and women of the bible handle their situations, and what were their outcomes? *(Just a note here not to take things out of context.)
- Learning About the Lives of Others– Reading, watching movies, researching, about great men and women of faith. How they lived their lives, handled situations, lessons they learned.
- Fellowship– By fellowshipping and/or receiving mentorship from mature Christians who have walked these roads and gone before you. They can give encouragement and/or Godly advise, pray for you, and provide accountability.
- Reassessing your situation– Are you all of a sudden having difficulty or lack of vision? Do you not hear the Lord as you did before? Are you uncertain when you had certainty before? Maybe it’s time to stop, slow down, and reassess. You may find that it’s time to go back to the place where you left Him, the place where you started to run ahead.
Can we commit to each other that we will be faithfully reassessing where we are? Are we still walking with Him? Have we left His side, His hand, to chase after what we want, after where we want the road to lead?
I hope this has helped to be a reminder of some simple steps we can take to keep ourselves from running ahead of God.
Do you ever struggle with running ahead of God? What are some things that help you to stay on course? Can you share them in the comments below?