I am a big advocate of alternative health and wellness, and I have a real disgust for GMO’s and processed junk that is passed off as food. But you may be surprised to find that I am not a big health food and nutrition nazi. Yes you will find that I will write on eating real whole food and traditional food preparation. But you will also find I post regular recipes that maybe aren’t so healthy.
So is this a contradiction? In my opinion, no. In my opinion I am just being real. Sharing real life here with you. I am a mom, I am a wife. I have a house to keep clean, children to play with and love, meals that need to be made, dishes to be done, bills to be paid, laundry to be done, playdates and sports going on, and the list goes on and on. Just as I’m sure it does in your house. I am NOT wonder woman nor am I trying to be her… anymore.
Yes there was a day when I was trying to do it all. Trying to provide everything good and wholesome, made from scratch, no preservatives, nothing processed or packaged, etc., etc.. You get what I’m saying. Well guess what?… There is NO WAY I could do it all. You know what I found when I was striving to do it all?… My family was suffering. My family needs me present more than they need me always in the kitchen preparing perfect, unadulterated food. Some day that may change and I may have a lot more time than I do now. But for now it’s not what’s best for us.
So the Lord led me to this article and things started to change for me. I slowly transitioned us to a diet with more lenience. You could call it an 80/20 diet. Basically I try to do the best that I can in providing real, whole, unprocessed food for our family, hopefully close to 80% of the time. I don’t stress about the rest, the other 20%. If I don’t have time to properly soak all of our grains, that’s ok. If we can’t afford the raw milk this month, that’s ok. If we have a crazy busy, stressful day and we only have fast food as an option, I’m not going to stress about it. If we have a craving for a comfort food that isn’t exactly ideal, that’s ok too.
This is why you will find a menagerie of recipes here at Raising Munchies. You can read a little more about our journey through nutrition and where we are at now, here. I know my specific situation is not the same as yours and what works for us may or may not work for you. That is ok because we all have to choose what works best for us in our own unique situation.
Have you changed the way your family eats lately? What is currently working for you and your family? I would love to here from you!
This post was happily shared at Titus 2sday.